Sunday, January 22, 2012

chinese new year!



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!



Dragon Kapibara-san wishes you a Happy New Year!



Let's welcome the year of the dragon wish my wishes for your happiness, prosperity and good health!


As some of you know, tomorrow is Chinese New Year, or the Lunar New Year. It's going to be the year of the dragon, my year. Most people want their kids to be born in the year of the dragon because dragon children are supposed to be very lucky and successful. My mom told me that there are going to be a lot of Chinese babies being born this year.



In Chinese culture, the dragon is a symbol of power, strength, and good luck so it's not surprising that the Chinese emperor usually uses a dragon as symbol of his power.

In addition to being born under the year of the dragon, one can be born under different elemental dragons. According to Wikipedia, here are are the dates of each elemental dragon.

  • 16 February 1904 – 3 February 1905: Wood Dragon
  • 3 February 1916 – 22 January 1917: Fire Dragon
  • 23 January 1928 – 9 February 1929: Earth Dragon
  • 8 February 1940 – 26 January 1941: Metal Dragon
  • 27 January 1952 – 13 February 1953: Water Dragon
  • 13 February 1964 – 1 February 1965: Wood Dragon
  • 31 January 1976 – 17 February 1977: Fire Dragon
  • 17 February 1988 – 5 February 1989: Earth Dragon
  • 5 February 2000 – 23 January 2001: Metal Dragon
  • 23 January 2012 – 9 February 2013: Water Dragon
  • 10 February 2024 – 28 January 2025: Wood Dragon


According this schedule, I'm an earth dragon...not sure what it means though. People born under the year of the dragon are said to have certain traits. These traits are:
  • Innovative
  • Enterprising
  • Flexible
  • Self-assured
  • Brave
  • Passionate
  • Conceited
  • Tactless
  • Scrutinizing
  • Unanticipated
  • Quick-tempered


It seems pretty accurate since I am flexible, very detail orientated and quick tempered. Not sure about the other things though but my sister tells me that I'm full of myself all the time so I guess there must be some truth to it.

Anticipating the upcoming New Year, my mom decided to decorate our house with lots of red. Red, everywhere! I came home late last Sunday and the first thing I noticed was that there was red everywhere! And the house being dark, that's saying something.


First thing I saw when I came home.



In the peanut jar in the living room.






We have these flowers every year around the New Year. I'm not sure what they're called though.





In our candy "jar."



On the kitchen table.





Hanging from the lights in the living room.


I was going to take a picture of my adorable dragon luvvies plush for the New Year, but it disappeared a few months ago. It was always on my bed but I knew that Obi loved to steal plushies from my bed and run away with them. I'm convinced that he stole it when I didn't see him and hid it somewhere. I still haven't been able to find it, I've checked online to see where I can buy another one but I guess it's a limited edition or something since everywhere I check, it's always over $20. I bought it for $7 at a Hallmark near the uni.


Sniff...my super cute and soft dragon plush disappeared on me :'(


So I had to make due with this TY beanie baby that I got 12 years ago from my Godfather. It's not nearly as cute but it'll do since it's the only dragon plushie that I have.



In other news, it's Obi's birthday today! He's 1 year old. Time flies by so fast, I can't believe it's almost been a year since we brought the little fuzz ball home (we brought him home in mid-March).


Happy Birthday Obi!

0 comments: