Saturday, August 23, 2014

otakuthon 2014 goods

Otakuthon 2014 Purchases

I went to our local anime convention again this year, like I have been doing for the past 2 years with my good friend Suzy. I normally buy a weekend pass and let my sister use it (sssshhhhhh) when I'm done going to the con but this year, my family went to NYC for a few days so I'm the only one going.

Like last year, I put myself on a budget  and I toured the whole seller's area before decided on what to buy. I'm super happy with all my purchases!



My badge

Bookmarks

I had purchased bookmarks from this artist last year and I'm glad to see that she had different bookmarks available this year. The first is of Howl and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle, the second is of ACNL and the last is from My Neighbour Totoro.

She had 6 Ghibli bookmarks available and other than the 2 I bought, she also had Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, and...I can't remember the last one.

She also 2 other ACNL ones, one featured Isabella, sitting and looking at the sky and the other is very similar to the one I bought except it was brown and had different ACNL NPCs.

Back

What's great about her bookmarks is that the back has a different design. The two Studio Ghibli ones are the same and they both feature her sketches of her Ghibli bookmarks.

 The ACNL one features Katrina, the fortune telling cat and it even has her signature quote:

"And remember that bad times... are just times that are bad."

Genius.

Eevee Plush

I've been trying to get this plush for a while now, it's just so jolly looking. Who doesn't like Eevee and a smiling Eevee at that!

A lot of the plush at my local con are fake so when I saw that they had this and were asking $30 for it, I was very weary. Yes, I'm a plush snob but I wouldn't mind getting a fake one if it looked cute and they weren't charging it for the price of the real deal. 

I asked to have a look at it but the one they gave me didn't have a tag, only the tush tag. I couldn't tell if it was real or not, since the quality wasn't great. Suzy mentioned that there was one with a tag and told me to ask for it, which I did. The seller told me that all their plush are authentic (but of course, they'd tell you that) and after examining all the tags, I decided to take a chance and get it. I think it's authentic, but I couldn't be sure with this one since it's a UFO catcher prize. But I did notice that their other Eeveelution plush all had the right tags on it.

Side View

Flareon Strap

One of the artists at the con had a bunch of these adorable pokemon straps. For a while, I couldn't decide which one I wanted (it was mostly between Eevee and Flareon) but in the end, I found this Flareon one cuter. She also made an iPhone case and iPad case as well as a lanyard that featured all of them. Her prices were very reasonable but I already had an adorable iPhone case and an iPad case and I would never use the lanyard so I decided to skip on those. Maybe she came again next year, I'd get another strap.

Arcanine & Pumpkaboo Keychains

Another artist had a ton of these adorable pokemon keychains. Again, I couldn't decide on which ones to get because so many of them were so cute! In the end, I settled for Arcanine and Pumpkaboo. I actually didn't even see all of them because there were so many people in the way. 

Orcarina of Time Print

I am in love with this print. The moment I saw it, I had to have it. One of the sellers only sold movie posters and video game posters. I've never seen this print before but I loved it. I love how it looks like a movie and when I was young, I played this game over and over again. It also came in a protective cover which made carrying it home (via public transportation) a lot easier and stress fee.

So that's my little haul this year. I'm super happy with everything that I got and don't regret any of them!




0 comments: